Skip to content


Selling your house

We recommend you contact your Solicitor the day you contact your Auctioneer.  Your Solicitor will help you get your paperwork in order as soon as possible, so Contracts for Sale can issue, once you have secured a buyer.  Here is a list of the initial documents your Solicitor will need to start the legal sale process:-

  • Title Deeds:  If you have these, bring them with you.  If they are with your mortgage provider, your solicitor will have to write and request them, so let your solicitor know the name of your mortgage provider and the mortgage account number.   Your solicitor must check that the legal title to the property is in order before Contracts can be sent to the buyer’s solicitor.
  • LPT:  Your Local Property Tax printout, showing it has been paid up to date (including all the current year) – you can find this on
  • NPPR:  Certificate of Exemption or Discharge from Non-Principle Private Residence charge (applied from 2009 to 2013) – see
  • Household Charge:  no longer applies, but you still must provide a Receipt (or Certificate of Discharge) showing it was paid – see
  • Services:  Details of your property’s water and drainage supply (for water – mains, well or group water scheme?) (for drainage – mains or septic tank?)
  • Septic Tank:  if you have one, you’ll need to provide a Certificate of Registration, from
  • Planning Permission:  These documents should be with your title deeds.  If you have carried out any work to the property since you last purchased or mortgaged, which would require planning permission, then you will need the relevant associated documents, such as planning permissions and engineers’ certificates of compliance.
  • BER Certificate:  If the property was purchased recently it may already have one, if not a new certificate will need to be obtained.  Your Auctioneer can also assist you in getting this.
  • Managed Property:  where there is a management company in place, you will need to provide their contact details and receipts for service charges paid.
  • Rented Property:  if the property has been let to tenants in the past two years, your solicitor needs a copy of the Letting Agreement and evidence of registration with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).
  • Contents:  any items in the property to be included in the sale, should be itemised.
  • Tax:  If the property has not always been occupied by you, you may be liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT), and you will need to discuss this with your solicitor, and tax advisor.

‘Tús maith, leath na hoibre’ – a good start is half the battle.  If you are thinking of selling, don’t wait, start preparing and contact your Solicitor. You can also read and download our guide ‘Selling Residential Property in 6 Easy Steps – What Happens, When on and feel free to contact us at or 065 6840060 and we will be happy to help you.